Re: Stevan Harnad's misconception 2

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_ELN.BC.CA>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:09:31 -0800

Jan - you say it is an absurb notion that publishers are taking a
stance against open access itself, and that publishers are not
against 'green'.

Yet the Brussels Declaration on STM publishing, which your own
company (Springer) signed, declares it as a self-evident principle that:
11. Open deposit of accepted manuscripts risks destabilizing
subscription revenues and undermining peer review.

There is nothing in this statement indicating an endorsement of
green, or an endorsement of open access by any flavor.

If publishers endorse green - and it seems that most do, as the vast
majority of journals already allow the self-archiving that the open
access mandates would require - then publishers should be supporting
open access mandates.

Which is it for Springer, Jan - do you endorse green, or vigorously
oppose it?

best,

This post reflects my personal opinion only and does not represent
the opinions or policy of the BC Electronic Library Network or the
Simon Fraser University Library.

Heather Morrison
Project Coordinator, BC Electronic Library Network
heatherm_at_eln.bc.ca
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com