Subscriptions Are Paying Publication Costs

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:33:15 +0000

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Ahmed Hindawi wrote:

> I never really understood... the emphasis on the importance of
> re-channeling the subscription money to pay for OA publishing costs.
> I have heard the argument countless number of times: we can/may
> pay the cost of OA publishing only when/if we can free the money
> paid now for subscriptions.
>
> As Jan says, universities get an overhead percentage of all research
> grants. The percentage varies from a university to another...
> Some would take 50% while others may be 60% or even more...
> Let us assume 60%...

No matter how one analyses the pennies and their provenance, the
following is very clear, and indisputable:

    (1) Most journals are non-OA today.

    (2) That means their publication costs are being paid by
    subscriptions.

    (3) Institutional libraries pay most of those subscriptions, out of
    their current journal budgets (whatever the provenance of those budgets).

    (4) If there is ever to be a transition to OA Gold publishing,
    *that's* the money to be redirected to pay for OA Gold, not other
    money. The provenance of that subscription money is not at issue:
    what it's currently tied up in is.

    (5) That money is not being redirected today, because (as just
    noted above) it is being spent on subscriptions, for non-OA journals.

    (6) Hence if any money today *is* being redirected toward paying for
    Gold OA journal publication costs, it is not coming from the money
    that libraries are currently spending on subscriptions (which, to
    repeat, is still paying for non-OA publication costs).

    (7) Unlike (paid) Gold OA, Green OA mandates just provide OA. They
    don't cost extra, and they don't depend on either redirecting
    subscription funds nor on redirecting research funds.

    (8) If and when Green OA mandates ever do make subscriptions
    unsustainable, those savings can then be redirected to pay for Gold
    OA publication costs instead. Not before.

    (9) But what does come before, as a result of Green OA mandates, is
    OA: 100% OA.

    (10) Hence none of this penny-counting and library-budget source
    analysis has anything whatsoever to do with what research needs,
    today, which is exactly what OA self-archiving mandates will provide.
    (It is merely Gold OA, pre-emptively counting the chickens before they
    are hatched.)

Stevan Harnad