Re: Journal Length Constraints - Definition of 'Letters' at ISI

From: Dana Roth <dzrlib_at_LIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:30:49 -0800

This in reply to an inquiry sent to ISI ...

-------------------

Thank you for contacting Thomson Scientific Technical Support.

I've gotten some additional detail on how letters are classified for Web
of Science.

The policy is to use several criteria for deciding whether to classify
an item as a letter or an article; it is not simply if it's in the
Correspondence section, it is a letter.

The criteria for a Letter classification, besides being in a
Correspondence or Letters section, include such things as whether it is
in a traditional letter format (To the Editor, etc), whether it refers
primarily to previous articles, etc.

**If an item appears to be more original research, with a number of
cited references, etc., it will be classified as an Article.

In summary, the classification process does allow for judgment based on
the specific item. Many such items in journals like Nature and Science
are routinely classified as Articles, not Letters.

As an example, Physical Review Letters has published 671 items in 2007
(thru 3/7/2007) and 621 are classified as ARTICLES. The rest are
comments on previously published articles and errata notices.

Dana L. Roth
Millikan Library / Caltech 1-32
1200 E. California Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91125
626-395-6423 fax 626-792-7540
dzrlib_at_library.caltech.edu
http://library.caltech.edu/collections/chemistry.htm