Re: Physics World: The CERN Gold OA initiative

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:13:59 +0000

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, David Prosser wrote:

> SH:
> '(The ERC funding would mean a redirection of scarce research funds of
> precisely the sort that researchers worry about.)'
>
> I think that we are in danger of overstating the amount of money that will
> be 'diverted' to publication costs. The ERC will allow publication costs to
> be included in research grants. Not everybody will take up this option as
> not everybody will publish in journals that either have figure charge costs,
> page charges, or open access publication charges. Even if everybody did,
> what we are looking at is a figure of about 1-2% of the total research
> budget (based on the Wellcome research).

*Allowing* research fundees to use part of their research funding to
cover publication costs at their own discretion is not the problem (and
I of course have no objection to that). That is simply a change in the
allowable category of expenditure, as you note, and leaves the choice
entirely up to the fundee.

However:

(1) On no account is the *needless* redirection of scarce research funds
towards other uses than research welcome.

(2) While subscriptions are still paying for publication, and Green OA
self-archiving is available to provide OA, it is needless in the extreme to
redirect research funds to pay instead for Gold OA publishing fees.

(3) If/when subscriptions are no longer being paid, then (part of) the
subscription savings can be redirected to pay for Gold OA publishing fees.

(4) Before that, it is simply a (two-fold) mistake instead to redirect
research funds for other purposes: unnecessary payment for OA and
unnecessary loss for research.

(5) This is true whether the unnecessary loss for research is 1-2%, as
estimated by Wellcome for biology, or 10-15%, as the letter by John
Harnad suggests might be the case for some areas of physics other than
particle physics.

(6) The notional calculation of publication expenses as a part of research
expenses is valid, but what is left out of this homily is that publication
expenses are *already* being paid today, by subscriptions, *as a part of
(notional) research expenses.*

(7) To redirect research funds now would be to double-pay, and for no good
reason (as OA is available for free, via Green self-archiving).

(8) The PLoS and BMC proof-of-principle demonstrations for the Gold OA
cost-recovery model were worth doing, to show it was possible.

(9) But what is needed now is OA, not more proofs-of-principle for the Gold
OA cost-recovery model.

(10) The CERN experiment, in converting particle physics subscription
journals from the subscription model to the "consortial membership" model,
is hence unnecessary and a diversion from the real goal: 100% OA, which is
100% reachable via Green OA self-archiving mandates.

> Is this being taken away from the research pot? Well maybe, but only in the
> same way as the ERC's agreement to cover travel costs is diverting funds
> from research. Or the ERC's agreement to cover indirect costs (such as
> management and general administration) is diverting funds from research.
> Funding bodies are beginning to view dissemination costs (including
> publication fees) as part of research infrastructure costs and this can only
> be a good thing.

The issue is not ERC *allowing* the use of research funds to cover OA Gold
publishing fees if the fundee wishes: The ERC is mandating Green OA. That
is exemplary. There is no problem at all with its also making OA publishing fees
one of the allowable uses of part of its funding. That leaves the fundee
with the choice of whether to self-archive for free (Green OA) or to pay for
Gold OA.

But the CERN-based deliberate conversion of a set of particle physics
journals to Gold OA would either leave the fundee with no choice but to
pay, or, as is likely, would be buttressed by a consortial "membership"
model that will not scale, on an individual journal by journal basis, for
the reasons I adduced in my post. (Institutional commitment to subscribe to
a particular has no counterpart in institutional commitment to submit
papers to a particular journal or journal commitment to accept papers from
a particular institution. Nor is there a parity, at a journal level,
between whether an institution subscribes to a given journal and whether it
publishes in a given journal. This works for CERN, which is physics only,
but not for multidisciplinary universities.)

So it's not about ERC's allowing fundees to redirect, but about CERN
forcing them to do so.

> (And for the avoidance of any doubt, I think deposit mandates are a good
> thing and should be implemented by all research funders. But I view
> mandates and provision of publication charge funds as an 'and', not an
> 'or'.)

And, for the avoidance of any doubt, I think that if all funders (and all
universities, for unfunded research) first to mandate deposit (Green),
there would be no reason for concern about subsequent attempts to convert
journals (Gold), or to fund it, for 100% OA would already be inexorably
upon us.

But all funders (and universities) are *not* yet mandating deposit
(Green); far from it. And that's the problem:

    (Gold) Whiskey on (Green) Beer: Never Fear.
    No (Green) Beer before (Gold) Whiskey: Pretty Risky.

We don't need "redirection" of efforts and resources away from Green
OA mandates toward Gold OA conversion today: We need redoubled focus on
reaching for the reachable (100% OA, Green) at long last. After that's
safely grasped and upon us, let the Gold Rush gallop on at whatever pace
it wishes! We will already have reached the Optimal and Inevitable (and
Long Overdue)...

Stevan Harnad