Re: Mobilising Scholarly Society Membership Support for FRPAA and EC A1

From: Fred Spilhaus <FSpilhaus_at_AGU.ORG>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:34:27 -0400

Were open access in the best interests of advancing science societies would be
supporting it now. The perception of the impacts, and in fact the likely
impacts, are very different in different scientific communities. Further a
stumbling block to broad support is confusion about the multitudinous variety of
sins that different zealots use open access to cover. It is as hard for a
society executive to know what to oppose as it is to know what we should be
supporting on the OA side.

Please don't characterize us with the commercial publishers.

Few if any of us are in this to make money. I consider the society to be the
guardian of the body of knowledge for our community. There is no other way
those most interested in assuring that the record of a discipline is not lost
can assure that will not happen except to do it themselves and that is why there
are societies.

At least in the US (under any regime we have had since Thomas Jefferson), and in
many other countries that operate under the whim of the people or that of any
dictator (everywhere I know about), government can not be trusted to do so.
Funding agencies of all kinds operate in their own interest be that the
development of drugs or that of less developed communities. None have a primary
mission in the protection of the knowledge base; albeit perhaps a favorite
course of the day. Not to be relied on. What ewe don't do for ourselves can
not be relied on!

Academic institutions standing alone do not have the capacity to guarantee all
knowledge.

Societies are one vital resource, academic institutions are another. Each has
their role the one in a disciplinary sense and the other in an integrative sense
related to their own current objectives. They are funded very differently. The
two are interlaced and make for a strong framework. One without the other is the
woof without the warp, a flop.

Instead of shouting about the moral rectitude of OA and other irrelevant issues
how about looking at the whole problem. The development and protection of the
knowledge base needs to be optimized. Optimizing one aspect is likely to be
deleterious in other parts of the system.

There is an old admonition that is pertinent to this situation
        Time, Price, Quality - Pick any two.

We must pay attention to all aspects of the system if we are to serve science
well and that is the job of a society officer.

--
Fred Spilhaus    Executive Director, AGU
2000 Florida Avenue NW    Washington DC 20009  USA