Re: Mobilising Scholarly Society Membership Support for FRPAA and ECA1

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:12:45 +0100

"Few if any of us are in this to make money says Fred
Spilhaus. Look at the salaries and perks offered to
their executives by certain professional societies (in
the USA). I don't want to name them, but all of us
know these are the societies which oppose OA archiving
tooth and nail. These executives speak on behalf of
the societies without taking into account what the
members have to say. A clear case of paid employees
(or in some cases elected members) acting on their own
instead of representing the larger membership as they
should in any democratic organization.

A professor of chemistry at the Indian Institute of
Science, Bangalore, resigned his membership from a
US-based society in protest against the society's
policy with regard to open access.

Members should take the time to question unilateral
decisions of societies and make them work
democratically.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]