Re: Librarians and OA advocacy.

From: (wrong string) élène.Bosc <hbosc-tchersky_at_WANADOO.FR>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:59:37 +0200

I understand that English members of this Forum feel this judgment unfair,
because G.B. already provides about 60 institutional repositories, and
that is a great victory for OA in that country. British librarians are
to be congratulated.

But looking at the number of repositories in other countries in the
world -- http://roar.eprints.org/index.php -- you will see that they
are far from having arrived at the same outcome.

The librarians in most of the rest of the world (with some notable
exceptions such as the Netherlands) are not yet involved and have not
yet been ready to facilitate Open Access as British librarians have done.

However, I also fully agree that librarian inertia is vastly outweighed
by researcher inertia.

Hélène Bosc
Member, Euroscience
http://www.euroscience.org/
Convenor, Workgroup on Scientific Publishing
http://www.euroscience.org/WGROUPS/SC_PUBLISHING/index.htm