Re: Cure Gold Fever With Green Deposits

From: Jeffery, KG (Keith) <"Jeffery,>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:51:26 +0100

Stevan, all -

As usual I am with you almost all the way. I, too, hope (I am not sure I believe - see how publishers jacked-up subscription costs once they had the market) gold will reduce costs eventually.

The problem is that - right now and with currently published gold costs - a productive institution may well find itself paying ~ 3 times its current library subscriptions.

I support strongly (and have for some years) your call for green now, mandated by funders and institutions and with easy-to-use, low effort input systems (fewer keystrokes). Apart from the obvious advantages, green has one further advantage; if publishers do not go for gold at least we have open access availability in green and if publishers do go for gold having parallel green will 'keep them honest'.

Prof Keith G Jeffery Director Information Technology and International Strategy
kgj_at_rl.ac.uk Science and Technology Facilities Council

T:+44 1235 44 6103 CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
F:+44 1235 44 5147 Chilton, Didcot, OXON OX11 0QX UK
WWW Person: http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk/Person/K.G.Jeffery
Department: http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk
President ERCIM & CCLRC Director: http://www.ercim.org/
W3C Office at CLRC-RAL http://www.w3.org/
President euroCRIS http://www.eurocris.org/
VLDB Trustee Emeritus: http://www.vldb.org/
EDBT Board Member http://www.edbt.org/
The contents of this email are sent in confidence for the use of the intended recipient only. If you are not one of the intended recipients do not take action on it or show it to anyone else, but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it
The CCLRC telecommunications systems may be monitored in accordance with the policy available from <http://dlitd.dl.ac.uk/policy/monitoring/monitoring%20statement.htm>.