Scientific publishing will be a priority on the agenda of the Portuguese Presidency (of the EU).

From: N. Miradon <nmiradon_at_YAHOO.FR>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 14:57:26 -0400

The attached email is the Commission Services' follow-up to the February
meeting in Bruxelles.

Government in Lisbon are currently preparing to chair European Council
meetings during the period July-December 2007 [1].

The European Commission's "Communication on Scientific Information in the
Digital Age" is one of the agenda items.

Lisbon could have left it to sink, but instead the Commission tells us that
"scientific publishing will be a priority on the agenda of the Portuguese
Presidency".

So it looks as though Lisbon has decided that Portugal can persuade the
Council to come to a firm decision on scientific publishing by December 2007.

And that decision can only be in line with the "Declaration of the
Portuguese University Rectors" [2].

Which is good news for OA.

N.Miradon
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_the_European_Union.
[2] https://arl.org/lists/sparc-oaforum/Message/3492.html

P.S. We might perhaps like to suggest to Primeiro Ministro José Sócrates
Carvalho Pinto de Sousa, and to Minister for Science, Technology and Higher
Education José Mariano Gago, that the European Council simply adopts the
Declaration of the Portuguese University Rectors, replacing "Portuguese
Universities" by "Recipients of EU research grants" and replacing "Ministry
of Science, Technology and Higher Education" by "European Commission".

Some may be tempted to go further and advise the Ministers how to "improve"
the Rectors' Declaration. This temptation should be resisted.