Re: OA Mandates, Embargoes, and the "Fair Use" Button

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 04:12:39 +0100

Sandy Thatcher is confusing
    (1a) Open Access Self-Archiving
and
    (1b) Closed Access Self-archiving plus the Fair-Use Button.
Sandy is also confusing the issue of
    (2a) publishers who have or have not recently given their green light
    to Open Access Self-Archiving (1a)
and
    (2b) the longstanding fair-use practice by authors of mailing
    paper reprints to requesters and, more recently, emailing eprints
    to requesters.

Unlike the above current and straightforward matters, the question Sandy
raises about what will turn out to be the irreducible essentials of
Gold OA journal publishing after Green OA self-archiving reaches 100% --
(i) *if* the demand for the paper edition ever vanishes, and (ii) *if*
subscriptions ever become unsustainable -- is a hypothetical one. Sandy
asks whether I think those essentials will consist of peer review alone
or peer review plus copy editing: My guess is no better than anyone
else's but I'll guess it'll be mostly just peer review, with a little
copy-editing added on too.

(I've done more than my share of substantive editing too, and I agree
that most journal article authors are terrible writers. I guess that's
why they didn't become writers. I too would like to see the level of
journal article writing improved.)

Stevan Harnad