Re: University of Leicester's Self-Archiving Policy

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:09:37 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Nockels, K.H. wrote:

> We welcome Stevan Harnad's comments. We also believe our deposit
> policy is right, and can reassure Professor Colman that we are not being
> "excessively cautious". We are archiving material where publishers
> permit, and as he and many colleagues here have found, that often means
> that we cannot archive the published PDF file. He is certainly not
> alone in being required to deposit the final draft.

Strictly speaking, it is not that Leicester authors cannot deposit
the publisher's PDF in the Leicester repository: It is that that PDF
cannot be made Open Access without the publisher's blessing, and far
more publishers bless making the author's final draft immediately OA
than bless making their PDF immediately OA. That is why Leicester's
deposit format policy is exactly right.

(Note: For authors fulfilling individual email eprint requests generated
by the "Fair Use Button." it makes no difference whether that single
fair-use draft, requested and sent for research purposes, is the author's
final draft or the publisher's PDF.)

But the author's final draft is the best default version for deposit all
round, because it has the fewest constraints.

So much for Leicester's deposit format policy. But there is more to an
institutional repository policy than the default format:

> We are working hard to get content. We have publicised our repository
> in many forums in the University in the year since we launched it, and
> have had interest from many areas. 24 departments are now represented.

Here it is not just Leicester evidence that is pertinent, but evidence
from worldwide projects of exactly the same nature: No longer how long
one wishes and waits, merely creating a repository, inviting deposits,
and publicising/promoting it have not been enough to get the repository
filled. Please take a look at ROAR and the growth rates of most of the
repositories worldwide:

    http://roar.eprints.org/

Worldwide spontaneous deposit rates are at about 15% of current annual
research output. Those rates are improved somewhat by incentives, such
as DARE's Cream of Science incentive, but even that only raises deposit
rates to about 30% (and some of that is not current output but
retrospective depositing of authors' older works alongside the current
ones).

The only thing that works, and that sets the institution's repository on
a reliable trajectory toward 100%, is to mandate deposit. Please see
Arthur Sale's valuable comparative studies on this. Acting on the
objective evidence now is greatly preferable to losing more years,
waiting in vain for voluntarism to work:

         Sale, Arthur (2006) Researchers and institutional
         repositories, in Jacobs, Neil, Eds. Open Access: Key
         Strategic, Technical and Economic Aspects, chapter 9,
         pages 87-100. Chandos Publishing (Oxford) Limited.
         http://eprints.utas.edu.au/257/

         Sale, A. The Impact of Mandatory Policies on
         ETD Acquisition. D-Lib Magazine April 2006,
         12(4). http://dx.doi.org/10.1045/april2006-sale

         Sale, A. Comparison of content policies for institutional
         repositories in Australia. First Monday, 11(4), April 2006.
         http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_4/sale/index.html

         Sale, A. The acquisition of open access research
         articles. First Monday, 11(9), October 2006.
         http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_10/sale/index.html

         Sale, A. (2007) The Patchwork Mandate
         D-Lib Magazine 13 1/2 January/February
         http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january07/sale/01sale.html

> However, rapid growth of the repository is hindered by this matter of
> the final draft - very often, people have published work in journals
> that require us to archive that final draft. People seem not to keep
> those drafts, or not to be able to find them easily.

The first and foremost objective is to capture current and future
research output. For this the author's final draft most definitely
does exist, and should be deposited on the date of acceptance for
publication. (It is important not to conflate the target of current
output with the less urgent goal of capturing retrospective output,
for that only serves to handicap and hobble the strategy for capturing
current output.)

    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

> We are now discussing mandating deposit of RAE submissions, although
> that may mean archiving material in a closed access part of the
> repository, something that we have not done up till now.

Why on earth would Leicester mandate only RAE submissions, rather than
*all* current and future Leicester article output? (But even that would
be better than no mandate at all, and would probably make the token fall
in many researcher's minds!)

Sixty-two percent of current output already has the publisher's blessing
to set access to the deposit as Open Access immediately.

    http://romeo.eprints.org/stats.php

For the remaining 38%, Closed Access does not mean going to another
part of the repository; it means a different metadata tag and access
permissions during the embargo, which will require individual would-be
users to use the semi-automatic "Fair Use Button" to request individual
email copies from the author via a semi-automatic email request:

    http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php//RequestCopy

> We are now working to approach people for work as it appears, and so our
> information librarians (subject liaison staff) are running search alerts
> to identify new work, and are approaching people quickly. We are also
> working to add material published by the University, in addition to
> adding the "back catalogue" of work by people who archive their new
> work. We do encourage authors not to sign away their rights.

Unless there is something remarkably different about Leicester, this
strategy will yield the same level of results over the years that it has
done at other universities, as Prof. Sale's comparative data show. Only
a mandate will produce real and reliable growth.

As noted, it is important not to conflate or hobble strategies for
capturing output with the extra problems of capturing retrospective
backlog.

And if voluntarism only produces a success rate of 15% when the sole
task that needs to be done is a few keystrokes, please ask yourself
the likelihood of voluntarism's success when, in addition to the
keystrokes most authors are not bothering to perform when invited, they
are advised (incorrectly) that they need to alter their copyright
agreements as a precondition for doing those keystrokes (thereby,
in their minds, putting the acceptance and publication of their article
at risk)...

Retaining rights is always a very good idea, but it is not a necessary
condition for deposit: A deposit mandate is.

> We are also working to include the repository in training offered to
> young researchers.

You are looking at a long timeline then, until Leicester reaches 100% of
its annual research output...

> We believe our experience is not uncommon, and share Stevan Harnad's
> hope that posting these messages may help others in our position. We
> would be interested to hear of approaches that others have found
> helpful.

Leicester's experience is indeed not uncommon. But you have now heard
(and can read the evidence in Prof. Sale's papers, and confirm it in
ROAR) about what works and what doesn't, and why. The postings on this
question have been going on for years and years now, and the handwriting
is on the wall, but the (unmandated) archives remain empty:

Will UL read it, and act?

Stevan Harnad