Re: when did the Open Access movement "officially" begin

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:37:58 +0100

Stevan refers to the possibility that computer scientists might have
been making papers freely available over networks prior to arXiv and
the first free e-journals. This is possible, but documentation is
hard to find. One would also have to question the degree of
accessibility, given the limitations of networks at the time.

So there may have been availability but search and discovery was an
issue. One of the first attempts to solve this that I am familiar
with in computer science is the The Unified Computer Science
Technical Report Index
(http://www.cs.indiana.edu/ucstri/paper/paper.html). This simply
says: "*In recent years*, this informal network has moved onto the
Internet, as many departments, research groups, and other
institutions make publications such as technical reports, preprints,
and theses freely available electronically."

This paper refers to the Computer Science Technical Reports Archive
Sites (now listed at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/techreport-sites/list/)
but it is hard to date these archives from this information. There
may well be some there that began pre-1991.

Another source of clues might have been papers by Paul Ginsparg about
the origins of arXiv, but on this I wrote in my thesis
(http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/8233/)

"It is harder to determine the origins of the model on which the
working implementation of arXiv was based, perhaps unsurprisingly
since the system was simply described by Ginsparg as written in 'a
few summer afternoons'. Papers about arXiv give few clues in this
respect, but comments given to the New York Times (Overbye 2001)
point to Cornell physicist David Mermin as a contemporary influence."

Overbye, An Online Archive With Mountain Roots
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=technology&res=9806EFDB1F31F93BA1575BC0A9679C8B63&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fOrganizations%2fL%2fLos%20Alamos%20National%20Laboratory

The Mermin reference is: Mermin, N. D., 1991, Publishing in
Computopia. Physics Today
but no OA version. In any case, if I recall, this was more about
principle than practice.

So it looks like we have the earliest documented 'OA' services as:
archive: arXiv (1991)
journal: New Horizons in Adult Education (1987)
http://education.fiu.edu/newhorizons/

Both are open to earlier offers.

Steve