Re: Elsevier Still Solidly on the Side of the Angels on Open Access

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:54:45 +0100

Stevan, Mandates, mandates, mandates. Yes, of course, mandates and
content are the no. 1 priority. But that doesn't mean we should
ignore anything else that might help facilitate more of both. We have
enough content in IRs now for improved visibility to be an issue, and
it's an issue that will become more acute as content continues to grow.

> IRs do not need "to do more to be highly visible." Their problem is
> not their invisibility, it is their emptiness. And Steve ought to
> know this, because his own department's IR is anything but invisible
> -- for the simple reason that it has content; and it has content
> because self-archiving is mandated!

My point is not about one single IR, or any single IR, but about
services that reveal IRs collectively. It's services that allow us to
have effective IRs - OAI and interoperability and all that. And I
didn't say they are invisible, but that they could and should be more
visible. It's not just about search, it's about awareness and
currency as well. Arxiv has that, IRs as a whole do not.

I'm not arguing for central repositories, but others are. Critically,
some mandates require them, e.g. Wellcome, while the UK RC mandates
are more open. So the best we can say is that the most important
mandates so far are ambivalent about subject vs IR. In that case some
authors affected by the mandates have a choice, and this is a
challenge to IRs now in which IRs can help their cause with better services.

Steve