Re: University of Leicester's Self-Archiving Policy

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:47:55 +0100

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Diane Kornbrot (U. Hertfordshire) wrote:

> I am having similar problems at University of Hertfordshire.
>
> Is there somewhere a draft code of practice or policy (e.g. How is it
> done at Southampton) that we could all show to our Univ admin people?

Yes there is a draft code of practice!

1.
    The Immediate-Deposit/Optional Access (ID/OA) Mandate: Rationale and
Model
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html

    EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Universities are invited to use this document to
    help encourage the adoption of an Open Access Self-Archiving Mandate
    at their institution. Note that this recommended "Immediate-Deposit
    & Optional-Access" (IDOA) policy model (also called the "Dual
    Deposit/Release Strategy") has been specifically formulated to be
    immune from any delays or embargoes (based on publisher policy or
    copyright restrictions): Deposit, in the author's own Institutional
    Repository (IR), of the author's final, peer-reviewed draft of
    all journal articles is required immediately upon acceptance for
    publication, with no delays or exceptions; but whether access to
    that deposit is immediately set to Open Access or provisionally set
    to Closed Access (with only the metadata, but not the full-text,
    accessible webwide) is left up to the author, with only a strong
    recommendation to set access as Open Access as soon as possible
    (immediately wherever possible, and otherwise preferably with a
    maximal embargo cap at 6 months).
        This IDOA policy is greatly preferable to, and far more effective
    than a policy that allows delayed deposit (embargo) or opt-out
    as determined by publisher policy or copyright restrictions. The
    restrictions apply only to the *access-setting*, not to the
    deposit, which must be immediate. Closed Access deposit is purely
    an institution-internal book-keeping matter, with the institution's
    own assets, and no publisher policy or copyright restriction applies
    to it.
        [In the meanwhile, if there needs to be an embargo period, the IR
    software has a semi-automated EMAIL EPRINT REQUEST button that allows
    any would-be user to request (by entering their email address and
    clicking) and then allows any author to provide (by simply clicking
    on a URL that appears in the eprint request received by email)
    a single copy of the deposited draft, by email, on an individual
    basis (a practice that falls fully under Fair Use). This provides
    almost-immediate, almost-Open Access to tide over research usage
    needs during any Closed Access period.]

2.
Professor Arthur Sale of University of Tasmania, which has an OA
self-archiving mandate (designed by Prof. Sale) has also provided
a Risk Analysis:

    Generic Risk Analysis Open Access for your institution
    http://eprints.utas.edu.au/266/01/Risk_Analysis-v1.0.pdf

3. Model policies for research funders (drafted collaboratively by Alma
Swan,
Arthur Sale, Subbiah Arunachalam, Peter Suber and Stevan Harnad by modifying
the Wellcome Trust Self-Archiving Policy to eliminate the 6-month embargo
and
the central archiving requirement):

    http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/sign.php

4.
And here is Southampton ECS's policy (the first OA self-archiving
mandate - from 2001):

    OA Self-Archiving Policy: University of Southampton
    Department of Electronics and Computer Science
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/fullinfo.php?inst=University%
20of%20Southampton%20Department%20of%20Electronics%20and%20Computer%20Scienc

    1. It is our policy to maximise the visibility, usage and impact of our
research output by maximising online access to it for all would-be users and
researchers worldwide.
       1a. It is also our policy to minimise the effort that each of us has
expend in order to provide open online access to our research output:
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10688/
       1b. With all our research output accessible online we will be able to
respond to the research assessment and other administrative initiatives with
minimal input and effort from individual staff.
       2. We have accordingly adopted the policy that all research output is
to be
self-archived in the departmental EPrint Archive before and after
peer-reviewed
publication. This archive forms the official record of the Department's
research publications; all publication lists required for administration or
promotion will be generated from this source.
       3. Our policy is compatible with publishers' copyright agreements as
follows:
       3a. The copyright for the unrefereed preprint resides entirely with
the
author before it is submitted for peer-reviewed publication, hence it can be
self-archived irrespective of the copyright policy of the journal to which
it
is eventually submitted.
       3b. The copyright for the peer-reviewed postprint will depend on the
wording of the copyright agreement which the author signs with the
publisher.
       3c. Many publishers will allow the peer-reviewed postprint to be
self-archived. The copyright transfer agreement will either specify this
right
explicitly or the author can inquire about it directly. If you are uncertain
about the terms of your agreement, a directory of journal self-archiving
policies -- http://romeo.eprints.org -- is available to guide you. Wherever
possible, you are advised to modify your copyright agreement so that it does
not disallow self-archiving.
        3d. In the rare case where you have signed a very restrictive
copyright
transfer form in which you have agreed explicitly not to self-archive the
peer-reviewed postprint, you are encouraged to self-archive, alongside your
already-archived preprint, a "corrigenda" file, listing the substantive
changes
the user would need to make in order to turn the unrefereed preprint into
the
refereed postprint.
       3e. Copyright agreements may state that eprints can be archived on
your
personal homepage. As far as publishers are concerned, the EPrint Archive is
part of the Department's infrastructure for your personal homepage.
       4. We do not require you to archive the full text of books or
research
monographs. It is sufficient to archive the references along with the usual
metadata.
       5. Some journals still maintain submission policies which state that
a preprint
will not be considered for publication if it has been previously
'publicised'
by making it accessible online. Unlike copyright transfer agreements, such
policies are not a matter of law. If you have concerns about submitting an
archived paper to a journal which still maintains such a restrictive
submission
policy, please discuss it with the Department's IPR and Copyright Advisor.