Hong Kong Research Grants Council on OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:18:51 +0100

Below is an already tried and true recipe (from Hong Kong) for failure
in providing open access to research (cf. the failed NIH "strong
encouragement" policy that is now under strong momentum toward upgrading
to a mandate). Hong Kong's RGC is alas out of step, and -- perhaps unaware
of the history of requesting vs requiring OA -- is fated to repeat it.
https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/3962.html

[It may just be a coincidence, but possibly it is pertinent that in Swan &
Brown's 2005 international/interdisciplinary survey asking researchers
worldwide whether or not they would comply with an institutional or
funder requirement to self-archive, the international average expressed
was over 90% compliance: over 80% willing compliance and less than 15%
reluctant compliance. But for some reason, China was the most reluctant
of all, with only 58% willing compliance, and 31% reluctant (Figure
3). (Perhaps in China OA mandates are being mistakenly equated with
totalitarianism -- whereas they should rather be seen as an extension of
the benign, ubiquitous, even if unstated, publish-or-perish mandate that
ensures that research findings are published at all; and closer to the
spirit of paying taxes in order to support and reap the benefits of
public services.)]

    Swan, A. and Brown, S. (2005) Open access self-archiving: An author
    study. JISC Technical Report, Key Perspectives Inc.
    http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10999/