Re: Institutional Mandates and Institutional OA Repository Growth

From: Sandy Thatcher <sgt3_at_psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:06:16 EDT

You make it all sound so simple, Stevan, but there is nothing simple about a
transition from Green OA to Gold OA, including the redirection of savings
from journal subscriptions to funding Gold OA journals, because as many wise
people like Jim O'Donnell have pointed out on this list, universities don't
work that way. Wishing it were so does not make it so. And by talking about
peer review only, you oversimplify what is involved in journal publishing,
which requires skills that go beyond simply conducting peer review and that
are not most economically carried out by faculty, who are not trained for
such tasks and whose dedication of time to them detracts from the exercise
of their main talents as researchers. You are also wrong in interpreting
PRISM as just another repetition of the same old tired anti-OA rhetoric. As
a member of the publishing community whose press is a member of the PSP (but
not an endorser of PRISM), I can tell you that this is not just more of the
same. Whether we are getting close to a "tipping point" is of course a
matter of conjecture, but then so is the overall benefit from Green OA,
which you always state as though it were an established fact rather than a
hypothesis with some evidence in support of it yet hardly overwhelming
evidence at this point in time.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press