Re: Success Rate of the First of the Self-Archiving Mandates: University of Southampton ECS

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:33:27 +1000

Two other factors come into the Australian scene, for anyone new to this
list. They may be interesting too.

(1) Every Australian university must have a repository (and is funded for it
by the Dept of Education Science & Training - DEST) by end 2007 - or be in a
consortium arrangement. Otherwise it is out of the RQF, and loses funds.

(2) We have long had a separate scheme for reporting all our research
outputs to the Federal Government, which is pretty much guaranteed to be
close to 100% of the types of output covered (refereed journal articles,
refereed conference papers, books and book chapters). This goes back over
more than a decade. We have a challenge to integrate this with the RQF
involving selective outputs, which we are going to tackle here in Tasmania
by making the repository drive the data collection.

Rumor has it that DEST is going to insist that one assessor looks at each
full text rather than the 20% average it is said occurs in the RAE.
Certainly they will have the monitoring system in place to report on that.

The two countries tackle the problems differently - neither do it perfectly.
But they seem to be converging.

Arthur