Re: On Paid Gold OA, Central Repositories, and "Re-Use" Rights

From: Kiley ,Robert <r.kiley_at_WELLCOME.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:42:00 +0100

On behalf of the Wellcome Trust - one of the funders behind the UKPMC
Publishers Panel "Statement of Principle" - let me respond to this
posting and state that we do not believe that the re-use statement is
"stating the obvious in terms of re-use".

There are many publishers who currently offer a gold "open access"
option - but do **NOT** allow researchers to build upon and re-use such
content. Hence the need to make it clear that when an OA fee is paid,
it covers both free to read and free to re-use.

The Statement of Principle - which is endorsed by funders and publisher
trade associations - asserts the principle that "it is in the interests
of fostering and promoting research that such documents may be freely
copied and used for text and data mining purposes"...and that "other
re-use of the content, including but not limited to further
redistribution, adaptation and translation, is encouraged.."

Readers of this list may be interested in learn that the Elsevier OA
licence (available at:
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/authorsview.authors/supplementalterms)
explicitly allows users to "access, download, copy, display and
redistribute documents as well as adapt, translate, text and data mine
content contained in documents" for non-commercial purposes.

If we are going to enjoy the benefits of text mining, semantic web etc
(which may result in the creation of derivative works) then it is
essential that articles are licensed in ways which explicitly allows
re-use. By way of example, all articles for which the Wellcome Trust
pays an OA fee not only appear in PMC and UKPMC, but also are made
available (in XML format) through the OAI/FTP interface
(http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/about/oai.html) - thereby facilitating
text and data mining.

Open access has always been far more than the right to read published
research. The right to build upon and re-use this content is equally
important.

I'd also like to re-state that publication fees are a legitimate
research cost and as such are available from grant funds expended by
most of the main funders, including charities and Government --and of
course the NIH.

Regards

Robert Kiley
Head of e-Strategy
Wellcome Library
183, Euston Road, London. NW1 2BE
Tel: 020 7611 8338; Fax: 020 7611 8703; mailto:r.kiley_at_wellcome.ac.uk
Library Web site: http://library.wellcome.ac.uk

For information about Wellcome Collection go to:
http://www.wellcomecollection.org.uk

The Wellcome Trust is a charity, registered in England, no. 210183. Its
sole Trustee is the Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in
England, no 2711000, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London,
NW1 2BE.

*****