Re: Re-Use Rights Already Come With the (Green) OA Territory

From: FrederickFriend <ucylfjf_at_UCL.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:59:31 +0100

Les,

As one of the "Founding Fathers" I have no wish to re-define the OA
principles, and for content from authors who have applied those principles
there should be no re-use problem. The content for which agreements like the
UKPMC agreement are essential is for content from authors who through
ignorance or career-pressure have signed away all rights to a publisher. For
that content we have to ensure that re-use is guaranteed either through an
institutional or subject repository or through gold OA publishing terms.
When all authors use and all publishers accept a licence to publish
retaining re-use rights the need for these special agreements should
disappear.

Fred Friend