Repository: publication or archive?

From: Warburton, Lisa <lisa.warburton_at_NTU.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:02:23 +0100

Dear All

Here at NTU we are trying to sort out our repository policies
regarding submission, metadata etc and we've used the OpenDOAR policy
framework as a starting point.  What has caused considerable debate
is the statement found in the Data Policy "This repository is not the
publisher; it is merely the online archive."  Are we the only ones
who've struggled with this?  The EPrints FAQs(http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10635/01/index.html#self-archiving-vs-public
ation)  on self-archiving quite strongly says that self deposit is
not publishing, but s175 of CDPA says, if I've interpreted it
correctly, that making copies available to the public by means of an
electronic retrieval system is publishing.  Your thoughts, decisions
and reasons for those decisions would be most welcome!

Many thanks,

Lisa

Lisa Warburton

Copyright Advisor

Libraries and Learning Resources

Nottingham Trent University * The Dryden Centre * Dryden Street *
Nottingham * NG1 4FZ

Tel:  +44 (0) 115 8482653

DISCLAIMER:
This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain
private and confidential information. If you are not the intended
addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to
anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the
error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to
the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be
understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.

Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email
and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the
recipient should check that the email and its attachments are
actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.