RE : OA in developing countries

From: (wrong string) édon Jean-Claude <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 04:07:12 -0500

I quite agree with Mike Smith and his concerns about the Third World.

Open Access is the only way for Third World countries to see their journals recognized and integrated in the international bibliographies. As a result, Third World scientists will be able to publish on topics of interest to their situation (while responding to the universal criteria of excellence). The Web of Science is notoriously deficient on Third World coverage. The International Bibliography of the Social Sciences is quite as bad. Their coverage is 70% in English in disciplines where national and local languages are still extremely important). People close to the SciELO project in Latin America, Spain and Portugal have published on this topic and are beginning to take measure to counteract these biases. Recently, the people responsible for the Shanghai ranking of universities have decided to use Scopus rather than the Web of Science because the coverage of journals was wider in Scopus. I will not delve on the irony of the situation; neither will I analyze the validity of the Shanghai rankings, but I wel
come the multiplication of evaluation and ranking services as they serve to dilute the judgmental monopoly of the (recent) past.

Yes, Open Access will help Third World countries greatly, and not only in placing the articles of Third World scientists in suitable repositories.

Jean-Claude Guédon