Forget About Yesterday's Literature: First Do Now, Now

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:15:27 +0000

        Posted with Permission

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:16:44 +0000 (GMT)
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad -- ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: Prof. Bob Oades <robert.oades -- uni-due.de>
Cc: Peter Suber <peters -- earlham.edu>
Subject: Re: Alarm : Fw: Neues Urheberrecht: Wahrung von Rechten an den
eigenen
    Publikationen

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Prof. Bob Oades wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Alarm, alarm - late p.m. today I receive a communication (originally dated
> 4th Dec) about which I have heard nothing over BOAI
>
> The following email & links point out that in Germany, -- under a new law
> (!!), -- we shall be liable to prosecution in two weeks if we have
> scientific articles published between 1.1.1966 bis 31.12.1994 on the web.
>
> I am sorry its all in German, and I am too busy to translate it all at the
> moment - please contact rainer.kuhlen -- uni-konstanz.de
>
> Although certain actions are recommended to counter the personal threat
> posed by this NEW law (ask the library to take over one's rights) - the
> whole issue makes oneself very worried that we shall soon be visited (per
> email or post) from lawyers thinking they can make a quick buck. (They are
> already active here in the field of street maps on web-sites.) I have
> several 10s of research articles relevant to this period that may be found
> in various places (including some in cogprints).
>
> Surely this cannot go through the German parliament - we are back to where
> we were 15-20 years ago.

Dear Bob,

No cause for alarm. There is a simple remedy for this, within the reach
of all German researchers, yet they are not yet reaching for it, so it
makes no sense for them to agonize over this new German law!

(1) The new law pertains to posting the legacy literature (1966-1994).

(2) German researchers are not yet posting their own *current* articles on
the web.

(3) If they post all their current articles on the web, OA will quickly
prevail, and the legacy literature will become less and less of a
resource worth publishers' while even trying to defend.

(4) All current articles, without exception, can already be deposited in
the author's own IR, right now; this is true of each author's own past
(legacy) articles too.
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html

(5) For any deposit, past or present, where the publisher does not yet
endorse making it OA, the author can make the deposit Closed Access and
rely (for the time being) on the IR's semi-automatic "email eprint
request" button, which provides one-on-one "fair use" single copies:
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html

(6) This is almost-immediate, almost-OA, and together with the over 62%
of articles that already have their publishers' green light for
immediate OA, it covers all of OA plus almost-OA space, and is
sufficient to make all the OA dominoes fall soon after.
http://romeo.eprints.org/stats.php

(7) If such depositing is mandated, and done.
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/

(8) Not if we instead just moan about the legacy literature...

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad