Re: After the NIH Green OA Self-Archiving Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:06:29 +0000

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, [identity deleted] wrote:

> I was interested in your 5. statement below re universities mandating
> self archiving in their institutional repositories. Can you expand upon
> this a bit? We are a Medical Library in an institution that receives NIH
> funding. I would like to be able to make a serious case for archiving
> in an institutional repository here, but am having trouble coming up
> with reasons why PubMed [Central] should not be the preferred choice.

The reason for institutional self-archiving is to cover all of research
output, in all fields, from all institutions. That is the goal of the
Open Access initiative.

(1) Mandating the self-archiving of NIH-funded articles in PubMedCentral
covers NIH-funded articles but it does not cover all fields, from all
institutions. The solution is for all institutions to mandate that all
their own research article output in all fields must be self-archived
in their own respective Institutional Repositories (IRs).

(2) The deposited articles that are based on research funded by NIH can
then also be exported to PubMed Central.

So it is not a matter of making PubMed [Central] the "non-preferred"
choice for deposit, but rather making the Institutional Repository the
universal choice for *direct* deposit. From there, deposits can also be
exported to or harvested by other Central Repositories if/when desired.

The universal mandate that will cover all of research output space
naturally, reliably, systematically and exhaustively, across all
fields and all institutions, worldwide, is:
Deposit Institutionally, Export/Harvest Centrally.

Both Institutions and Funders should therefore mandate Institutional
self-archiving.

    "Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates:
     What? Where? When? Why? How?"
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html