Re: European Research Council Mandate Green OA Self-Archiving

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:24:23 +0000

On 19 Jan 2008, at 10:05, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Sandy Thatcher wrote:
>
> > One would think, then, that the language of the ERC statement could
> > have been
> > more precise: "peer-reviewed publications" is a general term that
> > normally
> > would be thought, in an academic context, to include all types of
> > publications.

Do ERC (or other short-term funders) research projects result in
books? I am only an engineer whose gets a bit lost outside STM, but I
thought that books were written independently by researchers and that
funded research projects had papers (and similar low-investment texts)
as explicit research outputs?

NOTE I am not asking whether books count as research outputs (they do)
but whether they are the outputs of funded projects. I'll confine the
scope of the question to single-author books, rather than multi-author
books or edited collections.
--
Les