Re: One year since conference on "Scientific Publishing in the European Research Area"

From: Ept <ept_at_BIOSTRAT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:32:16 -0000

It's a good plan to 'celebrate' the anniversary (and that of BOAI on Feb
14th!).

Suggest the letter also mentions support for OA:

- by the EURAB
- by the European Universities Association
- by the EurOpenScholar commitment to OA
- by the Petition (which has now reached 27050).

It should mention the number of mandates worldwide and the number in Europe
(RCUK, Wellcome, CERN, Portugal, Belgium, France . . . . ) and emphasise
that the EU is trailing its feet cf NIH and others.

It should be copied to the ITRE Ctee and perhaps to the Scrutiny Ctee (?). I
will copy to my local MEP, Glynis Willmott, who I have briefed and who shows
some interest. Others could do likewise to their local MEPs.

I am sure the Electronic Publishing Trust for Development would add its name
to such a letter in order to highlight the scholarly needs of the scientific
communities in the developing regions.

Barbara

Barbara Kirsop
Electronic Publishing Trust for Development
Wilmots
Elmton
Worksop
Nottinghamshire, UK