Re: New Ranking of Central and Institutional Repositories

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:13:38 +0000

On 9 Feb 2008, at 11:35, Thomas Krichel wrote:

> Yeah, but E-LIS is really small, looking at it today it tells
> us it has 7253 documents. That IRs struggle to compete with that
> sort of effort demonstrates that IRs don't populate, even in the
> presence of mandates. No amount of Driver summits will change this.

Can you be a bit more precise about your criticism?

If you go to ROAR you will find 62 "Institutional or Departmental"
repositories that are bigger than E-LIS (that's out of a total set of
562). Admittedly that's just 1 in 8 institutional repositories pulling
something approximating to their weight, but then there are only 89
subject repositories listed in total.

It's not a done deal by any means, but I think that the trend is
looking a lot more positive than you suggest .
--
Les