Re: How to Compare IRs and CRs

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:01:34 +0000

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, David E. Wojick wrote:

> I disagree Steve (and I am doing staff work for the US Federal
> Interagency Working Group that is grappling with these issues).

Which issues? OA's target content is the 2.5 million annual articles
published in the planet's 25,000 peer-reviewed journals, across all
scholarly and scientific disciplines, in all languages.

> Mind you I am all for OA, but integrating all the web accessible
> science is far from trivial.

I agree. But (1) OA is not about integrating all of web accessible
science; nor is it (2) only about science; nor is it (3) about making
all science web-accessible.

It's first and foremost about making the 2.5 million annual articles
published in the planet's 25,000 peer-reviewed journals, across all
scholarly and scientific disciplines, in all languages freely accessible
on the web,

> Google, Google Scholar, Science.gov, Worldwidescience.org,
> etc., each have large, irrational hunks. It is far from clear that adding
> tens of thousands of independent IR's is going to help.

OA is not about adding tens of thousands of empty IRs to existing web
content. It is about getting the 2.5 million annual articles published
in the planet's 25,000 peer-reviewed journals, across all scholarly and
scientific disciplines, in all language into their authors' OA IRs.

> Also, journal articles are not my favorite content, because they tend
> to be one to two years after the research and are too short.

But journal articles are OA's target content. And OA means getting them
freely accessible online immediately upon acceptance for publication,
not 1-2 years afterward.

> I prefer conference presentations, reports, even awards and news,
> to journals. We are trying to speed up science and journals are the
> tail end of research.

Those are all fine, and welcome in IRs, over and above OA's target
content; but OA's target content -- the 2.5 million annual articles
published in the planet's 25,000 peer-reviewed journals, across all
scholarly and scientific disciplines, in all languages -- is OA's
immediate priority.

> So OA is a worthy cause but only a small part of the policy
> picture. Findability of key information is the core issue.

Findability may be a problem for other causes, but it is not a problem
for OA (which is the only cause I am talking about). Absence, not
findability, is OA's problem.

> BTW I did some research that suggests that 60-80% of the journal lit,
> or something roughly equivalent, is findable for free if you poke around
> long enough, in some disciplines anyway.

I would be very interested to see that research, to find out in what
fields that is true, and in what time-slice. I am aware of a few fields
(mostly in physics) where it is true, but always happy to learn of more.
Our robot studies, across fields and years, find 5% to 15% of content,
depending on field (and that's using google).

Stevan Harnad