Re: New Ranking of Central and Institutional Repositories

From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro_at_cindoc.csic.es>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:53:18 +0100

Dear all:

Thanks for your interest in the Ranking of repositories, part of our larger
effort for rnaking webpresence of universities and research centers. A few
comments to your messages:

- Currently the Ranking of repositories is a beta version. We will thank
comments, suggestions and criticisms. Information about missed repositories
are warmly welcomed. After feedback recieved during the last days we are
considering a new edition before the scheduled one in July.
- Our rank formula mimic in part PageRank but our "inspiration" was in fact
impact factor. We maintain a ratio 1:1 between visibility (impact) and size
(activity) that it is the basis of IF. In order to take into account the
diversity of web info we decide to split the size contribution according to
additional criteria.
- Freshness is a topic we are concerned about not only for repositories but
for the rest of the rankings too. We are considering to take it into account
in the Scholar contribution giving more weight to recent publications.
- There are methodological problems for producing relative indicators:
percentage of global output, or institution size normalization. But you know
ranking are usually build by GDP (US, Japan, Germany,...) and not GDP per
capita (Luxembourg, United Arab Emirates, ...)
- Our position as a research group has been previously stated but I am going
to summarise again: The rankings are made with the aim of increase the
volume of academic information available on the Web, promoting the
electronic publication of all the activities of the universities, not only
the research related ones. And specially from developing countries
institutions.

Best regards,

--
Isidro F. Aguillo