Re: Cross border mobility of knowledge

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:26:18 +0000

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/cms3_fo/showPage.asp?lang=EN
> ...agreed that "... the European Union needs to create a
> "fifth freedom" - the free movement of knowledge. Member States
> and the Commission are invited to deepen their dialogue and expand
> their cooperation in order to further identify and remove obstacles
> to the cross-border mobility of knowledge..."
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/intm/98895.
pdf

> I suppose that this could be good news for OA in the EU.

It would be -- if it actually meant anything.

But it is another one of those vague, pious banalities that has no
concrete implications whatsoever.

What we need is focused, coherent policy, not empty slogans.

In Europe we have concrete policies already adopted by the European
Research Council (ERC) -- and recommended for adoption by the European
Research Advisory Board (EURAB), the EC Directorate for Research,
and the council of the the 791 universities from 46 countries of the
European University Association (EUA).
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/

The other sleepy appendages of the European body politic should pay
attention, take note, and act!

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
    http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
    a suitable one exists.
    http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
    in your own institutional repository.
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://archives.eprints.org/
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/