European Union heads of state agree that OA is A Good Thing.

From: N. Miradon <nmiradon_at_YAHOO.FR>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:06:39 -0400

Your head of state, and mine, were in Bruxelles last week.
They agreed (inter alia) that "Member States and the EU
must remove barriers to the free movement of knowledge
by creating a fifth freedom. This would involve
enhancing the cross-border mobility of researchers,
as well as students, scientists, and university teaching staff.
It would also require facilitating and promoting
the optimal use of intellectual property
created in public research organisations and
ENCOURAGING OPEN ACCESS TO KNOWLEDGE" (emphasis added)[1].

"... would ..." or "... will ..."? Looks to me like the
back room boys worked hard on the wording before it was
put in front of the h'o's'.

So, with due respect, I dont think that anything much will change.

N Miradon

[1]
http://cordis.europa.eu/search/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.document&N_RCN=29243