Fair use is not enough

From: Kiley ,Robert <r.kiley_at_WELLCOME.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:15:52 +0100

At the Wellcome Trust we also believe that "fair use is not enough" if
the benefits of text and data-mining - with its promise of discovering
new knowledge - are to be fully realised.

Consequently, as a condition of paying an open access fee, the Trust
requires publishers to licence these articles such that they may be
freely copied, distributed, displayed, performed and modified into
derivative works by any user. Publishers may impose conditions on users
in relation to attribution (i.e. users must attribute the work in the
manner specified by the author or licensor) and commercial use (i.e.
specify that the work must not be used for commercial purposes.

All publishers which offer a "Wellcome compliant" OA option - which
includes, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Springer, OUP etc - now include
this licence information in the XML they deposit in PMC. Some
publishers (e.g. Springer, OUP) use the CC-BY-NC, and others (e.g.
Elsevier, T&F, Society for Endocrinology) have defined their own
licences, but again they explicitly allow text-mining and the creation
of derivative works.

These articles are also made available through PMC's OAI interface, and
as such can be downloaded and exposed to text and data-mining services.

Conscious that this licence only extends to "gold" OA articles, the
Trust is continuing to work with publishers to explore the possibility
of developing a similar licence for author manuscripts.

Regards

Robert Kiley
Head of e-Strategy
Wellcome Library
183, Euston Road, London. NW1 2BE
Tel: 020 7611 8338; Fax: 020 7611 8703; mailto:r.kiley_at_wellcome.ac.uk
Library Web site: http://library.wellcome.ac.uk

The Wellcome Trust is a charity, registered in England, no. 210183. Its
sole Trustee is the Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in
England, no 2711000, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London,
NW1 2BE.