Re: non-intuitive terms "pre-print" and "post-print"

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:07:46 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

The subclassification -- Draft \ Submitted \\\ Accepted \ Published \\ Update -- is useful and welcome for many purposes. But for OA self-archiving the only *essential* distinction is whether it is pre- or post-refereeing, and that's exactly what preprint and postprint (if carefully and correctly defined) means.

Until we have very high and reliable OA self-archiving rates, we cannot overload already sluggish authors with having to do or know anything more than necessary. (The two main retardants on self-archiving are already (1) unfounded author worries about copyright and (2) unfounded author worries about how much time and effort it takes to deposit.)

IRs can configure themselves to include fields for all the distinctions you mention below (and more) and they are definitely useful. But for OA they are not necessary -- and at this delicate stage they (and anything else that is unnecessary) can only serve as a deterrent to already-sluggish self-archiving.

If I had to say what was holding up OA growth the most -- today and for the past several years -- it is a failure to separate the essentials from the incidentals. As a consequence, we have lots of attention paid to the incidentals... and IRs that are near-empty of the essentials.

A ltittle more patience. Let's get these IRs filled with their essential target content, and then we can turn our attention to the fine-tuning.

Stevan Harnad