Re: Functional Symmetry But Strategic Asymmetry in Locus of Direct Deposit: Institution-Internal or External

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:48:10 +0100

It's true, this development does not diminish the importance of the
repository, and particularly the IR, in terms of deposit and
management interfaces and repository services.

Instead its primary import is that *potentially* it: (1) frees up the
storage layer, (2) offers a route to more flexible and economic
computing infrastructure (large-scale, 'cloud' computing), (3) opens
up new services, e.g. preservation services, and (4) reduces
repository software lock-in.

So potentially a step change in interoperability for repositories.

Steve Hitchcock
Preserv Project Manager
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7698 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865
http://preserv.eprints.org/