Re: Yes, the Commission~R's approach could be improved

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:19:50 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Yes, the EC can and should collect the final refereed draft of all EC funded
research. It remains only to specify how that should be done:

It should be a part of the fulfillment condition on the recipient of all EC
research funding -- both the funded researchers and their institutions --
that all refereed research publications resulting from the funding must be
self-archived in the fundee's institutional repository. They (or their
metadata) can then be harvested/collected/imported/exported to the EC from
the IRs:

How To Integrate University and Funder Open Access Mandates
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/369-guid.html

Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates: What? Where? When? Why? How?
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

Swan, A., Needham, P., Probets, S., Muir, A., Oppenheim, C., O?Brien, A.,
Hardy, R. and Rowland, F. (2005) Delivery, Management and Access Model for
E-prints and Open Access Journals within Further and Higher Education. JISC
Technical report. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11001/

Swan, A., Needham, P., Probets, S., Muir, A., Oppenheim, C., O?Brien, A.,
Hardy, R., Rowland, F. and Brown, S. (2005) Developing a model for e-prints
and open access journal content in UK further and higher education. Learned
Publishing, 18 (1). pp. 25-40. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11000/

Stevan Harnad