QMU's repository deposit mandate

From: George Harvie <gharvie_at_QMU.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 06:34:02 -0400

The date of adoption was the 19th of February 2008

Repository deposit mandate

Institutional Open Access Archiving Policy

1. It is our policy to maximise the visibility, usage and impact of our
research output by maximising online access to it for all would-be users
and researchers worldwide.
a. It is also our policy to minimise the effort that each of us has to
expend in order to provide open online access to our research output:
http://eresearch.qmu.ac.uk
b. With all our research output accessible online we will be able to
respond to the research assessment and other administrative initiatives
with minimal input and effort from individual staff
2. We have accordingly adopted the policy that all research output is to be
archived in the departmental institutional repository before or after peer-
reviewed publication. This archive forms the official record of the
institutions research publications
3. Our policy is compatible with publishers' copyright agreements as
follows:
a. The copyright for the unrefereed preprint resides entirely with the
author before it is submitted for peer-reviewed publication, hence it can
be selfarchived irrespective of the copyright policy of the journal to
which it is eventually submitted
b. The copyright for the peer-reviewed postprint will depend on the wording
of the copyright agreement which the author signs with the publisher
c. Many publishers will allow the peer-reviewed postprint to be archived.
The copyright transfer agreement will either specify this right explicitly
or the author can inquire about it directly. If you are uncertain about the
terms of your agreement, a directory of journal self-archiving policies ~V
http://romeo.eprints.org ~V is available to guide you. Wherever possible, you
are advised to modify your copyright agreement so that it does not disallow
archiving
d. In the rare case where you have signed a very restrictive copyright
transfer form in which you have agreed explicitly not to self-archive the
peer-reviewed postprint, you are encouraged to archive, alongside your
already-archived preprint, a "corrigenda" file, listing the substantive
changes the user would need to make in order to turn the unrefereed
preprint into the refereed postprint
e. Copyright agreements may state that eprints can be archived on your
personal homepage. As far as publishers are concerned, the institutional
repository is a part of the institutions infrastructure for your personal
homepage
4. We do not require you to archive the full text of books or research
monographs. It is sufficient to archive the references along with the usual
metadata
5. Some journals still maintain submission policies which state that a
preprint will not be considered for publication if it has been
previously 'publicised' by making it accessible
online. Unlike copyright transfer agreements, such policies are not a
matter of law. If you have concerns about submitting an archived paper to a
journal which still maintains such a restrictive submission policy, please
discuss it with the institutional
repository named contact