On Parasitism and Double-Dipping

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:26:03 EDT

On 5-May-08, at 7:17 PM, Ian.Russell wrote:

> I think, though, that parasitic describes the nature of unfunded mandates
> requiring deposit into repositories which rely on certification from
> journals rather well. It was intended to be descriptive rather than
> pejorative and is actually highly accurate.

Ian, what do you mean by "unfunded mandates" to deposit?

And what would you consider funded, nonparasitic mandates?

I understood you to have replied, earlier, that by this you do *not* mean
"double-dipping" -- i.e., you do *not* mean publishers expecting to be paid
via institutional subscriptions, as usual, and *also* to be paid extra in
exchange for authors making their own published, certified articles OA by
self-archiving them.

Single-dipping means one or the other: either recover costs from
subscriptions or recover costs from Gold OA publication charges, but not
both.

So if it is not double-dipping that you mean by funded, nonparasitic
institutional mandates to make their authors' own published, certified
articles OA by self-archiving them, please do say what it is that you do
mean.

Stevan Harnad