Re: The cost of peer review and electronic distribution of scholarly journals

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:18:24 -0400

From: "Enrico M. Balli" <enrico -- medialab. sissa. it>
Date: May 24, 2008 10:56:55 AM EDT (CA)
To: <liblicense-l -- lists. yale. edu>

Dear Stevan,

I totally share your statement on Richard Poynder's query, and would
like to give my contribution to the discussion. Sissa
Medialab is not exactly a publisher, but we have some
journals jointly published with IOP: JHEP, JCAP, JSTAT and JINST. We
provide the peer review for all our journals, and we believe that the
quality of our peer is very high. During the year 2007 these
journals published 1851 papers. The total revenue of our company in
the same fiscal year was 1.242.108 euros, without any loss. As
you can imagine our rejection rate is higher than zero, and
the number of reviewed papers is higher than the number of published
papers. I'm not disclosing any industrial secret here: we are a
limited company and our balance sheet is public, and our journals
are online and everybody can check these figures. The same applies to
any other commercial publisher, BTW...

I hope this helps.

Enrico M. Balli