Re: OA Primer for the Perplexed

From: Talat Chaudhri [tac] <tac_at_ABER.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:41:44 +0100

Stevan, you don't answer the point. I have several departments most of
whose members do not *want* their articles published on open access, as
stated directly to me. Your idea that they want it but are afraid to do
it is in direct conflict with what they themselves state. (I'm not in a
position to give you a list of their names! This would clearly not be in
the interests of advocacy in my institution.) It may well be because
they are uninformed, but nonetheless the truth is clearly that at
present they do not *want* OA for these reasons, whether or not they are
afraid of it. The distinction you make is absolutely fallacious and does
not serve your analysis.

I am clearly not alone in this experience as a repository manager. Let's
not post fiction on the list, it is risible to suggest as you do that
all academics are of one mind in any respect as regards OA, which is
patently untrue. This said, I regret that there is no point addressing
the rest of your email at all.

As stated many times, I support Green OA entirely, constant alterations
to the terminology notwithstanding.

Talat