Re: Citation statistics

From: Charles Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:15:23 +0100

I've now read the whole report. Yes, it tilts at the
usual windmills, and rightly dismissed the use of Impact
factors for anything but crude comparisons, but it fails
to address the fundamental issue, which is: citation and
other metrics correlate superbly with subjective peer
review. Both methods have their faults, but they are
clearly measuring the same (or closely related) things.
Ergo, if you have evaluate research in some way, there is
no reason NOT to use them! It also keeps referring to
examples from the field of maths, which is a very strange
subject citation-wise.

Charles