Re: subject classification

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:35:15 -0400

Arxiv has been up for 17 years and its users have been doing the keystrokes
spontaneously: No keystroke inertia, not need for mandates.

But this spontaneous key-stroking (which has also been there among computer
scientists and economists) has, in 17 years, likewise failed utterly to
generalize to the rest of the scholarly scientific community.

That is why it is more keystroke mandates, not more keystrokes, that are
urgently needed for the vast non-keystroking majority today.

Once they have caught up with the physicists, computer scientists and
economists, we can talk about adding more keystrokes.

If Arxiv had had to face keystroke inertia too, I am sure it would have
happily sacrificed the bit of extra functionality a few classification
keystrokes might provide, for the monumental functionality provided by
having the full-texts content itself!

Stevan Harnad