Batch Deposits in Institutional Repositories (the SWORD protocol)

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 22:34:49 -0400

In the context of Nature's just-announced offer to do proxy deposits
for its authors, Peter Suber has asked Les Carr of EPrints to comment
on whether the software has the capability of downloading and
uploading deposits automatically, in batch mode, rather than just
singly, with the keystrokes done by hand.

Les Carr's reply is affirmative:

"Both EPrints and DSpace allow batch uploads, but more to the point,
both of them support the new SWORD protocol for making automatic
deposits in repositories. We (the SWORD developers) very much hope
that we will be able to work with established discipline [i.e.,
central] repositories to allow automatic feed through of deposits from
Institutional Repositories into Discipline Repositories and vice
versa": http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/SWORD