Re: Harnad's faulty thinking on OA deposit and APA policy

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:28:42 -0400

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Guédon Jean-Claude
<jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I still do not understand how a mandate to deposit NIH-financed
> articles into the NIH repository interferes with the development
> of IR's. But I believe I know why I do not understand: there is
> nothing to understand.

(1) because it forces authors whose institutions have an institutional
mandate to deposit twice;

(2) because it forces institutions that do not have an institutional
mandate to propose requiring their (NIH) authors to deposit twice;

(3) because, being much-imitated, it encourages other funders to
likewise mandate central deposit, which forces more authors to deposit
twice, or even more often, in ever more repositories;

(4) because it fails to reinforce the adoption of institutional
mandates, and hence fails to reinforce the self-archiving of unfunded
institutional research output;

(5) because it makes institutional self-archiving harder rather than
easier, and makes institutional author resistance to institutional
self-archiving mandates more probable rather than less probable;

(6) because it misses the opportunity for a convergent and coordinated
joint transition to universal OA, with the help of research funders
and the providers of all research, in all disciplines, funded and
unfunded: the institutions.

And all completely needlessly. For mandating direct central deposit
entails no functional gain whatsoever over mandating institutional
deposit and central harvesting, only needless loss, both in potential
OA and in OA mandate growth, for the 6 reasons stated above (all, and
more, stated explicitly in the links cited and in previous postings).

And now I shall stop replying to Jean-Claude's postings which, as has
happened before, have waxed more and more shrill and ad hominem with
each iteration:

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4747.html

Stevan Harnad