Re: Convergent IR Deposit Mandates vs. Divergent CR Deposit Mandates

From: Talat Chaudhri [tac] <tac_at_ABER.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:47:04 +0100

Les,

When you say "reduces", doesn't SWORD quite simply eliminate such competition if implemented widely enough? That is, one could theoretically deposit simultaneously in multiple repositories, whether IR or CR or both. With an appropriate service, users could already be subscribed to these repositories, making it all seamless.

I know this depends on implementation, but SWORD is already with us, so please bear with me: the question that results from this inevitably is that this does seem to eliminate Stevan's difficulty with the locus of deposit. The requirement to deposit in a CR would no longer detract from deposit in an IR (because it would not require duplication of effort) or from efforts towards institutional mandates that can get us the rest of the content. Could this not at least help with Stevan's problem about the locus of deposit in the NIH mandate, if and when it is implemented appropriately?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of this. Thanks,

Talat