Re: Open Access Book-Impact and "Demotic" Metrics and book-to-book citation lack of immediacy

From: <eugene.garfield_at_THOMSONREUTERS.COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 21:33:25 -0500

One final word--the time delay in the appearance of book to book
citations will probably be significantly different. If there were 50
books written on or near a particular topic I would be surprised that
there were more than a few books per year citing the target book. So how
predictive can that be if you have to wait a decade or more to find out.
Let's hope that I am wrong and that like Hot Papers, Hot books will be
cited within a relatively short period of time. However, it takes a lot
more time and effort to write a book than it does to write an article. I
suspect that Hot books will be reviewed frequently within the first two
or three years and before the content of the book has an impact on
scholarly journal articles. Some hot topics will of course turn up in
non-scholarly journals and periodicals and detected in Google searches.