Re: RSP EPrints Training Day

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:08:31 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Leslie Carr <lac -- ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:18 AM
Subject: some background to the RSP Training Day
To: JISC-REPOSITORIES -- jiscmail.ac.uk

On 18 Nov 2008, at 12:32, Dominic Tate wrote:

      Aimed at librarians and repository staff using the
      open-source EPrints software, the morning sessions will
      cover the installation and visual customisation of
      EPrints, metadata schema design and the batch importing
      of legacy records.

I'd just like to explain a bit more about what we want to achieve in
the RSP Training day.

In recent EPrints training courses we focused on simple facilities
for adding metadata fields and for manipulating repository
configuration files. This forthcoming training day allows us to go
one step further by including easy-to-manage visual design for the
repository, with direct updating via Dreamweaver or other HTML
editors. We'd like to get the participants to install a 'vanilla'
repository and then customise it with their own visual branding,
extend it to accommodate their particular metadata requirements and
fill it with some imported data without needing any technical or
programming skills.

One of our key aims in the development of EPrints 3 series is to
enable non-technical repository managers to achieve as many
repository management tasks as possible without recourse to their
campus ICT services. We know that one of the urgent issues facing
repositories in the UK is the lack of IT resources to keep up with
the ongoing activities of the repository.

We're really excited about this, and we hope that you will be too.
The day should have something new, even for people who have been to a
previous EPrints course.
--
Les Carr
EPrints Technical Director