Re: Mandating OA: Don't Let the Best Be the Enemy of the Good

From: Klaus Graf <klausgraf_at_GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 19:29:08 +0100

2008/12/2 Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_gmail.com>:

> Digital documents that are made freely accessible on the web can be
> accessed, read on-screen, downloaded, stored, printed-off, and data-crunched
> by any individual user. (They can also be harvested by harvesters like
> google.) That is all the use that researchers need, and that is all the use
> that ("Gratis") OA need provide.

No, researchers also need libre OA. As I have shown according German
law it is not possible for all researchers to data-crunch digital
documents.

> For the remaining
> 37%, the author has the option of depositing in Closed Access and letting
> users rely on the "email eprint request" button during any publisher
> embargo.

As I have shown the button is in Germany illegal, and my few tests
make it clear that it is realistic not to speak of 37 % but let us say
of 10 %. THE BUTTON DOESN'T WORK IN THIS WAY. He technically works but
that's all.

Klaus Graf