Re: Green Angels and OA Extremists

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:04:42 -0500

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

The issue of the pdf has been debated a lot before. The point is
that, in cases when someone refers to a part of an article or quotes
from an article, it is important to know the page number. Not having
the publisher's pdf simply makes finding the right page more
difficult for the person who wants to add a specific reference and
who does not have access to the publisher's version. Undoubtedly,
there are workarounds, but they too are complicated and slow down the
work. To use a distinction brought forth in the past by Stevan
Harnad, that between quoting and citing, there are many situations
where simply citing the article is enough (i.e. simply indicating the
beginning and end pages of the article as given by any bibliographic
tool).

All these little pesky details that vary from publisher to publisher
contribute to building a confusing picture that translates into
inertia on the side of researchers already pressed for time. In my
opinion, they have been gradually recognized by some publishers as
effective ways to slow down the self-archiving side of Open Access.

For the rest, I fully accept our colleague's evaluation of copy
editing as a dying art. For example, do not use the Latin phrase
"annus mirabilis" as I did with IOS a few years ago, or you may run
the risk of finding it returned to you as "anus mirabilis"...

Jean-Claude Guédon