Re: The Liege IR Mandate is definitely (Immediate Deposit/Optional Access -- Dual Deposit/Release) (fwd)

From: Klaus Graf <klausgraf_at_GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 19:40:15 +0100

2009/1/3 Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_gmail.com>:
> [...]

Read my contribution in German at http://archiv.twoday.net

I have given enough arguments that the legal framework of Liege ORBi
is not valid or misleading.

I didn't say anything on the policy/the mandate.

If we have the BBB definition of OA we should avoid the impression
that everybody can interprete it as he likes. ORBi's license has
nothing to do with the OA definition of the Budapest Open Access
Initiative although it is referring to it in a very misleading way.
BBB has the aim to remove permission barriers, but ORBi - not allowing
derivative works or commercial use - gives by referring to BOAI the
false impression it is LIBRE OA. Almost all contents in "green" OA
repositories are'nt LIBRE, that's not the point.For few exceptions see

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/01-02-09.htm chapter 9

It cannot be accepted that a "legal license" referring to the
principles of BOAI simply means that the normal Belgian copyright (and
its exceptions) is valid. It's a sort of fraud.

Klaus Graf