Re: Comparing OA/non-OA in Developing Countries

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_utsc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:43:49 -0500

I concur with Stevan's comments, and would like to add the following:

1. From our perspective, OA is as much about the flow of knowledge from
the South to the North as much as the traditional concern with access to
literature from the North. So the question to ask is whether with OA,
authors from the North are starting to cite authors from the South. This
is a study we are planning. We already have good evidence that more
authors from the North are publishing in OA journals in the South (already
an interesting reversal) but we need a more careful analysis of the
citation data.

2. The more critical issue regarding OA and developing country scientists
is that most of them who publish in "international" journals could not
access their own publications. This is where open repositories is crucial,
to provide access to research from the South that are otherwise
inaccessible.

3. The Frandsen study focuses on biology journals and I am not sure what
percentage of them are available to DC researchers through HINARI/AGORA.
This would explain why researchers in this area would not need to rely on
OA materials as much. But HINARI etc. are not OA programs, and local
researchers will be left with nothing when the programs are terminated. OA
is the only sustainable way to build local research capacity in the long
term.

4. Norris et. al's (2008) "Open access citation rates and developing
countries" focuses instead on Mathematics, a field not covered by HINARI
and they conclude:

" that the majority of citations were given by Americans to Americans, but
the admittedly small number of citations from authors in developing
countries do seem to show a higher proportion of citations given to OA
articles than is the case for citations from developed countries. Some of
the evidence for this conclusion is, however, mixed, with some of the data
pointing toward a more complex picture of citation behaviour."

http://elpub.scix.net/cgi-bin/works/Show?_id=335_elpub2008

5. Citation behaviour is complex indeed and more studies on OA's impact in
the developing world are clearly needed. Davis' eagerness to pronounce
that there is "No Benefit for Poor Scientists" based on one study is
highly premature.

If there should be a study showing that people in developing countries
prefer imported bottled water over local drinking water, should efforts to
ensure clean water supply locally be questioned?

Leslie Chan