Re: Institutional vs. Central OA Repositories: English translation of Prof. Rentier's posting

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:23:11 -0500

On 5-Feb-09, at 9:55 AM, Karen Van Godtsenhoven wrote (in
JISC-REPOSITORIES):

            But that's exactly the problem! I don't think
            research funders like  setting up CR's, they
            just have to because there is no full IR
            coverage, many institutions, don't have them,
            still.

            I'm sure, for example, that the Commission
            would much rather extract metadata/fulltext
            from their researchers' IRs, than having to
            build a new system from scratch. So you can't
            blame them for centralizing it, because there
            would be too many orphans if they wouldn't.

            It's the too-slow-growing  IRs' failure,
            really.

That is exactly what I mean by the need to think the details through:

Both the growth in the number of IRs and the growth in the deposit
rate of existing IRs would be accelerated and facilitated if funders
explicitly stipulated IRs as the designated locus of direct deposit
(with DEPOT taking up the slack until institutions without IRs catch
up). Most important of all, the grpwth in the number of institutional
mandates would be accelerated and facilitated too, if funder mandates
were convergent (on IRs) instead of divergent in their designated
locus of deposit.

Instead, we have empty IRs, an empty DEPOT, few institutional
mandates, and (some) funders insisting on direct central deposit
(others indifferent as to locus -- which still isn't much of a help
to IR and IR mandate growth).

The remedy is simple, but not if we keep invoking the status quo
instead of thinking it through, and doing the simple, obvious fix.

Stevan